Graphic Design (my future)
Graphic design is a natural progression for me, after spending five years in the military and not feeling I had a future I decided to look into the Arts, as this was an ongoing life interest. Basing my research into the art sector I looked into career based art job roles, as it was important for me to gain a degree leading into a full time career because of my age. After a fast paced career in the military graphic design seemed to reflect a more formal work base that I was used to, meaning I could transfer skills from one sector to another. After consulting a careers advisor and developing knowledge in the graphic design sector and the different attributes of the role I decided to apply for a communication course while I was involved my last term of service.
My main interests in the graphic design have evolved as my knowledge of the sector develops; I am hoping to move into package, advertising or editorial design. These interests have developed though reading journals and an interest in contemporary design in the market today. I have always had an interest in poster, advertising and illustrative design and have collected posters for many years and as my skill base developed I moved into different areas and found application could take to most mediums. I have an interest in 3D design and so looked into different areas that I could apply both my main interests. A modernist perspective is a big factor of my design work at the moment developing simple shape into interesting forms my development in this area has evolved from contextual projects and the realisation of appropriation in today’s market. Although my interests are always developing and may change before the end of my degree.
I plan to move into my intended arenas though networking and approaching different companies early on in my education this will enable me to gain knowledge of the working environment and develop core skills needed in a studio. Moreover gaining simple freelance projects to fill a range of work for a portfolio outlining my graphic abilities. Peer assessment and group lead projects are another way to develop my knowledge base and create work relationships also moving towards a intern placement so I can stay in touch with how the market is moving.
No comments:
Post a Comment